Track Record: Cultural Trusts
- Controlled LACTOs/Teckal: Newark and Sherwood District Council and Similar: implemented a LACTOs/Teckal social enterprise for the Council's leisure facilities with tax efficient governance and legal documents, a modern outcome specification and VAT efficient contract and leases to maximise benefits and encourage transformation and service development plus a similar project for a North West Metropolitan Council (where the company's objects include the option of adding social care services), both with V4.
Please click for more information about our expertise in Leisure and Culture, Social Care and Social Enterprise, Public Procurement, Tupe Pensions and Human Resources
- A Welsh Authority: currently completing an options appraisal with Strategic Leisure for the future operational management of the Council’s leisure centre portfolio which may result in a LACTOs/Teckal social enterprise for the Council's leisure facilities.
Please click for more information about our expertise in Social Care and Social Enterprise
- Neath Port Talbot: we assisted the Council in refreshing the arrangements with Celtic Leisure Trust by putting in place wholly new robust contractual and property arrangements for future delivery of the Council’s leisure and culture with the opportunity for a further transfer of arts and other cultural and community facilities and libraries to Celtic. We helped the Council to set up and negotiate the legal documents Celtic in 2002/3.
Please click for more information about our expertise in Leisure and Culture and Procurements
- Inspire Hounslow: we have acted for this Hounslow group of charities for many years. Inspire Hounslow has recently re-focussed its activities towards giving grants to assist disadvantaged young people who live, work or study within Hounslow from its origin as a service provider. In 1998, we formed the companies and delivered the original transfer of cultural services (including grounds maintenance, leisure centres, arts and libraries) to our clients. This was the first transfer of local authority library services from local government in the United Kingdom. In 2008, we supported the Trustees in a successful service transfer to other contractors.
Please click for more information about our expertise in our Case Study, Tupe and Pensions and Commercial and Property
- Powys: project appraisal for proposed implementation of a leisure and culture trust as part of the V.4 team. Te team reviewed and updated the business case for the proposed transfer of the Council’s leisure centres to a newly created charitable trust and supported the Council’s decision to implement a procurement instead.
Please click for more information about our expertise in our track records in Social Care and Social Enterprise, Leisure and Culture Procurement
- North East Lincolnshire: we supported the Council in finalising its options for future delivery of sport, leisure and cultural services (including libraries) and thereafter delivering a LATCOs/Teckal company to deliver the Council’s leisure centres with the opportunity of thereafter delivering libraries. The model was subsequently modified to achieve charitable status..
Please click for more information about our expertise in our in Social Care and Social Enterprise Track Record
- Kent County Council: supported the Council on the options for the future delivery of the Council's libraries, registration and archives. This was a flagship project for the Council as part of its transformation of Council services and is currently on pause, to be reviewed if the law changes allowing registration to be externalised.
Please click for more information about our expertise in our Social Care and Social Enterprise Track Record and Procurement
- Link4Life (the Rochdale social enterprise/cultural trust): we were their company solicitors and advised them for many years on a wide range of issues.
- A County Council:: strategic business case for the Council of a potential externalisation of libraries, arts and culture and adult learning and a London Borough: a high-level options appraisal for a wider cultural trust for its libraries, culture and adult learning.
- London Library Change Programme: co-led peer workshops on trusts, community management and social enterprise plus follow up project for Croydon.
- Collage Arts: acted for this charitable social enterprise body providing a wide range of industries and buildings based services in North London and the London area and now also working with authorities in Spain and Italy.
- Numerous culture and trust transfers - for example Hertsmere (which had spent over £40 million on leisure) whom we subsequently assisted in refreshing the arrangements with the trust; Active8: the externalisation of the then Ellesmere Port & Neston services to this trust and assisting the trust in an effective handover of services to another trust and winding up following local government re-organisation).
Click here to read our track record on Leisure and Culture Procurement.
Léonie Cowen & Associates
30 Kingswood Avenue
London NW6 6LR
t: 020 7604 5870
Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (No70444)